It’s hard to believe that our EPIC year abroad has come to a conclusion. Brian and I have been having some serious snuggle time with our puppy dog and settling down in our new Adirondack digs. Reflecting on the past year, we had some thoughts:
Things we have learned
- FaceTime is a wonderful invention.
- I have a strong marriage.
- How to say “thank you” in about 10 languages.
- We are amazingly blessed.
- People are generally good.
- I can live with my mother-in-law (at least for a month!)
- Being homeless makes it possible to travel the world. I’m glad I don’t own a house.
- Not owning a car for a full year and only using public transportation is relatively painless, easy and cheap – at least in Europe!
- I’ve (mostly) successfully taught Europeans how to use an American credit card, as we don’t have an electronic chip in our cards.
- I’ve learned that seafood isn’t so bad when it’s caught locally that morning.
- Every country in the world has some form of delicious dried meat and some cheese – all very different, all very delicious.
Well folks, we are leaving Germany. Â Our six months here has been incredible (see the last blog article here). Â The past few weeks has been some what of a struggle for us dealing with tax issues, finance issues, and moving issues but we’ve come out alive. Â One of the main reasons for our move abroad was to focus on our marriage and learn how to work things out as a team. Â This has been hard at times but has always been rewarding. Â Sure we can call up friends and family for support now and then, but when it comes right down to it – we have only each other. Â I’ve learned so much about my husband and my marriage, but I’ve also learned a lot about myself. Â I’m proud of us and how much we have grown together in the last 6 months. Â My husband isn’t the man I thought I married – he is so much more. Â I would not have survived here without his love, understanding and encouragement. Â Brian is my best friend and I am so blessed to have him.
I look forward to our next adventure with eagerness, because I have the only support I need by my side.
Future plans include a weekend in Dublin, 2 weeks in Lisbon, Valentine’s Day in Dubrovnik, a few weeks in Athens and then…. wherever the road takes us (as long as there is internet).
Well wishes and prayers are much appreciated : )